The Liebster Award is an online award given to bloggers by other bloggers that helps spread the love that we all so desperately desire. Liebster is a German word that translates to “dearest” so getting nominated for this is bound to give you a warm, fuzzy feeling.
The rules are as follows:
- Post the award on your blog so everybody knows how awesome you are.
- Publicly thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
- Answer their questions about yourself, feel free to add photos!
- Nominate 5 – 10 people with less than 1000 followers, inform them via social media.
- Write your own set of questions for your nominees.
- Feel good about yourself for winning an award and passing it on.
Six Year Gap Year has been nominated for a Liebster Award by the incredible Sarah from The Girl With The Map Tattoo. If you haven’t already you should check out her travel blog right now for some amazing tips, advice and stories of her adventures around the world.
Here are my answers to her questions:
- Do you keep a journal? Every. Damn. Day. Seven years on the road and I have always travelled with a small notebook to record what goes on in my life. If I didn’t I think I would forget most of it. It’s what helped me start this blog six years after I started travelling!
- What has been your most interesting travel experience? Probably spending two months in Bangladesh with my dad. It was a complete culture shock, an eye opening experience to a culture and environment different to home in every single way.
- Where is your happy place? This is a tough one. I think it’s more of a state of mind than a specific place. I think it’s when I’m snowboarding through fresh powder in the trees, or sitting on a picture perfect beach, or hiking to the top of a mountain.
- How do you promote your blog? I spend most of my time on Facebook scrolling through the Girls LOVE Travel group. It’s a group of over 80,000 women who have travelled or want to travel. We support and encourage each other and I can link girls to specific posts depending on their question!
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? Antarctica. I want to see endless snow and ice and more than anything I want to see Emperor penguins. I’d also be happy with the Arctic Circle so I can say hello to a polar bear.
- Who is your dream travel buddy? The Doctor.
- Have you ever traveled solo, and what was your experience? I normally travel solo, with the exception of a few holidays to Europe. It is almost always perfect, even when things go wrong it makes for a good story. It gives me the freedom to do exactly what I want, when I want. It forces me to meet people and I have made some of the best friends while on the road. Always do at least one trip solo.
- What is your favourite book? WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THIS YOU MONSTER. The Harry Potter series, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, every book by Robin Hobb, the Dark Materials trilogy, the Old Kingdom trilogy and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I could go on but I think you get the point.
- Do you travel with hard copies of books and journals, or all on an iPad/kindle? Before the invention of the Kindle I would squeeze three of four books into my backpack because I read so much so fast I was scared of running out of books before I got to the next book exchange. Now I have a Kindle Paperwhite and it’s the greatest invention in the world for someone like me. I can carry thousands of books in my pocket.
- What is your favourite travel quote? It’s got to be “The road goes ever on and on”. It’s from a song sung by Bilbo Baggins in The Fellowship of the Ring and I have it tattooed on my arm as a reminder that no matter where my life takes me, the adventure will never end, even if I stop travelling.
- Dog or cat? BOTH. I was always going to be a crazy cat lady but now I don’t think I can live without a dog, they love you SO MUCH. Unconditionally. Maybe I can have both. I’ll get a puppy and a kitten and they’ll grow up to be best friends.
My nominations are:
- Lizzie from From Europe and Beyond, because she perfect in every way.
- Sarah from Study Hard, Travel Smart, for useful tips for smart travel.
- Jenn and Ed from Coleman Concierge, for some wonderful advice and inspiration.
- Gareth from Broken Jaw Travel, travel lists for days.
- Lyz from Lyz on Top of the World, when you want to read more than just a list.
- Debbie from Travel with the Greens, for those travelling with families.
- Dan from I Am Dan Elson, “Save & Make Money to Travel the World”.
- Emilie from Travel and Live!, for off-the-beaten-path travel.
- Chantal from Translating Traveler, “translation to travel and everything in between”.
- Annie from Dame Tripper, her blog is beautiful and inspirational.
My questions for you are:
- Where was the first country you travelled to?
- Where’s the last country you travelled to?
- When was the last time you were in your home country?
- What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
- Have you ever volunteered abroad? If not, would you?
- Do you take a lot of photos or do you believe in living in the moment?
- Have you ever travelled solo? If not, would you?
- Which country has the best food? Or the worst?
- Have you ever felt homesick for a place you only visited?
- Why did you first leave home?
- What piece of advice would you give to a younger version of yourself?
Well that’s all folks. Again, big thanks to The Girl With The Map Tattoo for the nomination. Glad I could spread the love to you wonderful new bloggers! Be sure to check out their websites for some incredible tips, advice, stories and photos from around the world.